Saturday, May 7, 2011

Harley's Hives: An Introduction (belated) and Update

Harley is friends with Eldon Barham. They spend a lot of time together, and are two of the toughest guys I've met -- relentless in their battle against time. They wear out much younger men with the work they do. I'd heard many stories about Harley's place and hobbies, but on Saturday I got to see for myself.



He currently has one hive, the captured swarm of bees who had been in our carport for so long.  They're doing great, so we just topped off the feeder.



Then he showed us his restored VW Beetle.  It's fabulous, and it was fun for Sarah to sit in the driver's seat and marvel at how simple those old cars were.  He was going to let "the girls" drive it, but neither of us can drive a standard and frankly, all I needed to age me in moments was wrecking his car.



Sarah loved his tin man too.



I loved talking to Harley's wife, Diana, who has had a very interesting life.  We had a lovely visit.

UPDATE: Mark added 3 nucs of Russian bees to Harley's Hives on 05/06/11, so he's up to four and very happy about it!

3 comments:

  1. How is it possible that you still don't know how to drive a stick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I was scarred so thoroughly when YOU learned to drive a stick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, by the way, I drive my broomstick JUST FINE.

    ReplyDelete